On Saturday the 12th, the Park District and HPAC will hold the annual Humboldt Park Pumpkin Patch from 10 am to 12 pm at the Humboldt Park fieldhouse (1440 N. Sacramento). There will be pumpkins and healthy snacks available for free to all youth. Come join us!
Friday, October 11, 2013
Sunday, September 29, 2013
The programs are FREE, open to youth ages 13-18, and registration is open now. You can register online at the Park District webpage, or call the Humboldt Park fieldhouse at 312-742-7549. There is a flyer posted below, please share it or print it and post it, we need your help recruiting Humboldt Park's young, aspiring musicians.
Friday, September 27, 2013
We would like to encourage community groups, like block clubs and sports leagues, to share this flyer with your members and bring your group out to help make the park a more beautiful place. Please RSVP via email, although no one will be turned away.
Thursday, September 19, 2013
Fareed Haque is a well-known guitarist, originally from Chicago, who draws from a number of different styles in his playing. He and his band will be performing "Hymn of the Ancients." For more on World Music Festival Chicago shows, follow the link or like it on facebook.
AND DON'T FORGET...our September meeting is tonight at 6:30 in the fieldhouse.
Tuesday, August 6, 2013
Building on the success of last summer’s inaugural Chicago Shakespeare in the Parks, the expanded 2013 program will bring William Shakespeare’s The Comedy of Errors, FREE FOR ALL, to Humboldt Park (just east of the Humboldt Park Boathouse) on Thursday, August 8th and Friday, August 9th, 2013 -shows at 6:30 pm A specially equipped truck will roll into the park, a stage will unfold, and a company of professional actors will share the delight of Shakespeare with families and neighbors of all ages. Audiences will experience the wildly entertaining tale of a man and his servant landing in a foreign land, searching for their long-lost twin brothers. Everywhere they go, strangers insist that they’re old friends. Mistaken identities abound, but in the end, chaos gives way to clarity in this comedy filled with mayhem and madness. Come to the park with a picnic blanket or lawn chairs and enjoy the show!!!
For more info about the performance - please visit us at www.chicagoshakes.com/parks<ht
Saturday, July 27, 2013
Come out and join us for this family friendly event - we look forward to seeing you!
Tuesday, July 23, 2013
Monday, July 15, 2013
With summer in full swing, there are plenty of great events happening in the park.
- On Friday and Saturday, July 19-20th, the Park District and Jazz Institute of Chicago will present an extended version of the popular Jazz City: Latin Jazz Fest at the boathouse. The event features music, dancing and art, and it will run from 7:00 to 9:00 pm on Friday, and from 1:00 to 8:00 pm on Saturday. This event is free and open to all ages, please follow the link above for more info on the line-up and activities.
- On Saturday, July 20th, Friends of the Parks is offering a guided walking tour of Humboldt Park that will highlight the park's history and the vision of its designer, Jens Jensen. The event begins at 9:30 am at the boathouse and will cost $10 for Friends of the Parks members and $15 for non-members. Register here
- On Tuesday, July 23rd, Dance in the Parks will be held at the boathouse from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. This event features professional dance performances from local groups. It is open to the public and free. Find out more about the performers here.
- On Saturday, July 27th, is the Family Fish Fest at the Humboldt Park lagoon from 1:00 to 2:00 pm. Families can fish in the lagoon, take canoe rides and learn about plant and animal species in the park. All equipment will be provided to fish or canoe and the event is free.
- On Wednesday, July 31st, from 6:00 to 9:00 pm is SummerDance. A popular summer event in the park, SummerDance features professional dance instruction followed by live music and dancing.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Tonight at 6:30 pm at the McCormick Tribune YMCA (1834 N. Lawndale) the final plans for the Bloomingdale Trail (now called "The 606") will be on display for viewing. There will be a short presentation by the design team to start the meeting, then visitor will be able to browse exhibits on the plans.
It was also announced today that the name of the trail and elevated park will be changed to "The 606" in reference to the first three digits of Chicago's zip codes. Read more on this from the Trib. Any thoughts on this new name? Feel free to leave a comment.
Wednesday, June 5, 2013
In the next few months the members of Chicago Plays! will work with the community to choose a playground design and set a schedule for completing the project. Construction is expected to begin in spring of 2014. If you've been to the pool playground recently (near Augusta and Humboldt) then you've probably noticed how badly in need it is of an upgrade, so we're very excited to be a part of this effort to improve it and we give big thanks to our community partners who worked hard to make it happen.
Now that June is here there are many great events coming up in the park. Here's a preview, and check back regularly for more.
- Friday June 7th from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. is the Night Out: Music + Movement event in the boathouse, it will include a performance from the Joel Hall dancers.
- Puerto Rican Fest will be held from Thursday, June 13th to Sunday the 16th
- The popular Jazz City: Latin Jazz Fest will be held on both Friday, July 19th and Saturday the 20th from 7 to 9 p.m. on each night at the boathouse.
Sunday, April 28, 2013
From their website:
Bring your friends, your family, and your flashlights for this special Humboldt Park lagoon twilight get-together. The Humboldt Park art group Opera-Matic, along with local community partners, have activated the paths around the Humboldt Park lagoon with unique beacons of lost light. Come whale watch a whale who can’t move from its spot, track a lost moon who can’t stay awake, and blink your own S.O.S. to a zeppelin pilot stranded without flight. The Lullaby Parade, guided by lull-a-bikes and a flashlight flag corps, tour the lagoon’s lost light spots, and find community in the process. Come be part of our joyful night time parade, powered by people and song.
On this Wednesday, May 1, the parade organizers are holding an open family workshop that invites families to be parade makers with singing and flashlight dancing. See the flyer below. We hope you can make this creative family event; as always it's free!
Monday, April 15, 2013
In other news...
Online registration for summer programs in Humboldt Park is now open on the Park District's website. We strongly recommend everyone to take a moment to browse all the great offerings that are available in the park; there are opportunities for all age groups and they are all affordable or even free in some cases.
The annual Earth Day Cleanup Event will be held in Humboldt Park on Saturday, April 20th from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Please register on the Friends of the Park website. If you don't have an opportunity to sign up, just show up to the fieldhouse on the day of the event and you won't be turned away, we will need all the help we can get. The Cleanup is a great event that takes place every year where many community groups come together to help make the park beautiful and get it in top shape for the summer months. After the cleanup there will be food and entertainment from local donors and volunteers. Come be a part of it!
On Wednesday April 24th from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., the Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance will be hosting a lecture on the history of Humboldt Park and Jens Jensen, the landscape architect who designed it and other landmark Chicago parks that include Garfield and Columbus Parks. The lecture will be given by Julia Bachrach, the Chicago Park District's historian, and it will cost $15 for members and $10 for members of the Alliance.
Friday, March 22, 2013
- The Advisory Council received a $1000 seed grant from Friends of the Park to help fund the youth music programs it's sponsoring. Registration for the programs in the spring session is open now on the Park District's website, just look for 'Band at Humboldt' and 'Music at Humboldt'. Registration is FREE! There are also many other excellent and affordable programs being offered this spring, including a number of new exercise and wellness programs, so please go to the website and see what Humboldt Park has to offer.
- A new youth soccer league for youth 12 and under will begin in the summer session.
- The Earth Day Clean-Up event in Humboldt Park will be held on April 20th from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Register your group to help clean the park online with Friends of the Park. Volunteers are still needed.
- Major events this year in the park will include
- Puerto Rican Fest: June 12-16
- Latin Jazz Fest: July 19-20
- Riot Fest: September 13-15
- Summer jobs with the Park District are open for application now. There are many seasonal jobs available and the application deadlines for many of these positions are coming up very soon.
- The Advisory Council is looking for volunteers for its concession stand at Little Cubs Field. The concession stand is very important to our fundraising efforts and we're looking for help, even on a limited basis. The HPAC pays for a sanitation workshop for any volunteers to get them proper certification. If you're interested send an email
- The Park District will be holding an Employee Talent Show fundraiser at the South Shore Cultural Center on Sunday April 21st. It will be a family event with tickets available for $10/adult and $5/child.
Tuesday, March 19, 2013
Are you interested in helping to make improvements to the park fieldhouse or grounds? The HPAC is currently looking for volunteers for committees that will focus on these issues. Please come out to the meeting to find out more and get to know some of your neighbors who are working for a better community.
Also...the Advisory Council sponsored beginning music program and band program still have many openings to fill before the April 3rd start date. We are looking for youth ages 10-17 to join these programs to learn music fundamentals and play in a youth band. The programs are free and registration is available online, just look for "Music at Humboldt" or "Band at Humboldt." Please spread the word to friends, family or neighbors who might be interested, the Advisory Council is purchasing all new materials and instruments for these programs so Humboldt Park will have a top notch music room!
Thursday, March 7, 2013
The event is free and registration is still open, but rsvp right away.
Friday, February 22, 2013
Registration for the spring session will open on Monday, February 25th at 9 AM on the Park District's website. To see available Humboldt Park programs use the "location" drop down menu.
Please help us spread the word about this exciting new youth program!
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
With the new Board members in place, we'll be looking ahead at our plans and priorities for the rest of the year. We hope you can join us.
January meeting minutes are below:
Tuesday, January 29, 2013
- Basic drawing and painting - Mondays and Wednesdays from 4-7 pm
- Experimental painting - Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4-7 pm
- Art of Skateboard - Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4-7 pm