Our meeting last Thursday went very well, with the resolution of some issues that have been on the table for a long time and some news on upcoming spring/summer programs in the park. Here are the details:
- The Advisory Council approved an amendment to the HPAC by-laws that sets the eligibility for voting in elections for the Executive Board. The new amendment requires that elections take place every January and members must be present at five meetings in the previous year to be eligible to vote or run in the election. It also includes a new requirement that Executive Board members be absent for no more than three meetings in a term to remain in good standing. If an Executive Board member misses a fourth meeting in their term, they may be voted off the Executive Board by a majority vote of voting eligible members. Additionally, the removed member may be replaced by a council member who is appointed by the Executive Board.
- The Advisory Council approved a second amendment to the by-laws that defines the different categories of members: General Members, Voting Members and Executive Board Members.
- A motion, made by President Ruth Pena, was approved to hold a meeting on June 21st. The Advisory Council does not usually hold meetings in June due to the Puerto Rican Festival, but this year the date falls after the festival is over. This will be a good opportunity for council members to discuss any issues related to the Puerto Rican Festival, among other things.
- The Advisory Council is looking for volunteers to work in the concession stand at Little Cubs Field. A sanitation certification class is required, but the cost is covered by the Advisory Council. Please send an email to behack78[at]gmail[dot]com if you're interested.
- Starting April 23rd, children who qualify for free lunch in Chicago Public School are eligible for a 50% discount on summer camp registration. Registration has already begun for all summer camps, please inquire in the fieldhouse (Monday-Friday, 2 pm-7 pm), or at chicagoparkdistrict.com
- April 28th is opening day for little league in the park, and a new girls softball league for 8-12 year olds will begin games this Saturday, the 28th, at noon in Little Cubs Field.
- "Bring the Family to the Table," the free monthly meal served at the park will take place next on June 21st. The event also includes games for children and information on healthy cooking.
- The 14th Police District will give a presentation on preventing burglaries on Thursday, April 26th at 7 pm in the 14th District Auditorium at 2150 N. California.
That's all for now, please check back for more news or visit us at our May meeting on the 17th. If you'd like to get email alerts for blog posts, just sign up in the box at the top right of the page.